top under header

Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Stila In The Light Palette Revisited


Why do I say revisited? Well, because I have just repurchased this palette and I have to say that it's not very often that happens. In fact, I think the only other palette I've ever repurchased is the Urban Decay Naked palette (the original). I actually wasn't going to replace this one, mainly because I have quite a few palettes already, but then I saw that it was half price on the Stila website and at £12.50 it was a steal (the eyeliner included is actually worth more than that!).


The palette comes in very plain outer packaging but I think the palette itself is very pretty. It is made of strong cardboard which is nice and light for travelling with (although one down side is that it might get tatty over time) and the palette is nice and compact. I like the metallic writing and stars on the front and the magnetic closure.


You can probably see from the swatches below that the pigmentation and texture of the shadows is a bit variable. Some of the shades are fabulously creamy feeling to apply. 'Gilded Gold' and 'Luster' on the bottom row seem to be the least pigmented but are still buildable. They all apply nicely over a primer, however (which I use every day anyway) and personally I think this is a great palette for work/ school etc. You can build the darker shades to create a more smokey eye but I think what this palette does best is reasonably natural eye looks.

Bare (barely visible as it almost matches my skin), Kitten, Bliss, Sunset, Sandstone
Bubbly, Gilded Gold, Luster, Night Sky, Ebony
The Smudge Stick eyeliner in shade 'Damsel' is my absolute favourite dark brown liner. The formula of the Smudge Sticks is amazingly smooth and very richly pigmented and they apply with no tugging. They glide on even easier than the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils and similar pencils if you are familiar with the texture of those. I apply it to my upper lash line and smudge it with a pencil brush to make it a bit more smokey looking as I don't like my liner to look too harsh day to day. I have enough time to smudge it out but it then sets to a long lasting finish.



Overall, I like this palette for everyday make up. It's not really one I'd reach for if I wanted to do something more dramatic. As I say, you can build it up, but I would personally reach for something more pigmented for that purpose instead. I would recommend it if you're looking for a nice everyday palette of neutrals and it works out to be good value when you can consider that you're getting 10 shades plus a liner that has a value of £14.50. I think it says a lot that I used up pretty much the entire palette and ended up repurchasing it!

Although not £12.50 any more, the palette is still on sale at £17.50 (down from £25) on the Stila website here.

Have you tried the Stila In the Light Palette? What do you think?

Em x