top under header

Saturday, 23 January 2016

The Perfect Valentines Lip: Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Lip Colour

Top: Natural Flush
Bottom: Red Alert
It's been much longer than usual since I last posted anything because things have been a bit crazy lately...big decisions and job interviews...let's just say I'm hopeful that 2016 is going to be a much better year than 2015 was for me.

Anyway, back to the lipstick!  I received the Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Lip Colour in the shade 'Red Alert' as part of a Maybelline Christmas gift from a friend (this gift set which is currently in the sale). You can pick them up individually via Boots or Superdug for £8.99 but Superdrug currently has them on buy one get one half price here. Regular readers probably know by now that I am a huge fan of the Superstay nail polishes for their lasting power (one of which was also included in the set and luckily it was one of the shades I didn't have!) so I was keen to try out the lip colour to see if it was as good.I actually picked up a more nude shade called Natural Flush since trying it, so that might give you an idea of how this review is going to go!

The two step lip colour consists of a liquid lipstick with a doe foot applicator that dries very matte on the lips (it takes a minute or two to dry) and a glossy, clear balm in stick form to apply over the top. Overall, it gives a glossy finish which becomes more satin as the balm wears off.

The red shade is very strong and pigmented while the nude is more sheer, but I actually quite like it that way because super pigmented nudes have a tendency to make me look a little bit ill-I sort of like just a little of my natural lip colour to show through.

Please excuse the not so neat application of the red-applied without a liner to show you what the product looks like on its own.
The thing that impressed me the most about this product is how non drying it is. I tried the Rimmel equivalent of this product a while ago and at first I liked it but once I had worn it for a full day, I realised that it quickly became very drying and heavy feeling on the lips and that it was near impossible to top up without it looking a mess-it was the type of product that required removing with waterproof make up remover and starting a fresh. The Maybelline one, however, was brilliant.The first time I wore it was to go out on New Year's Eve, applying it at around 7:45pm and taking it off at around 1:15am (so around 5 and a half hours of wear). It is the first time I have tried one of these dual ended lipsticks that didn't dry my lips out at all!

As for the wear time? Well it is not going to last 24 hours so if you go by the claim on the tube, it failed, but honestly who is going to believe that or even try to wear their lipstick for 24 hours?! I touched up once around the very centre of my lips after eating, about half way through the night. It's important to note that I was also drinking constantly throughout the night (let me tell you it was roasting hot in the venue we'd booked so I had a couple of soft drinks so I could gulp them down and avoid drinking my alcoholic beverages too quickly!). Honestly, though, I could have got away with just topping up the balm because the vast majority of the lip colour stayed in place. It also seems to be more or less kiss proof (I tested it on my husband, all in the name of research! haha) and all that seemed to come off was the balm rather than the colour. This makes it the perfect lipstick for date night, valentines smooching or a night out with the girls, if you ask me!

I am someone who has a few bolder lipsticks but is always slightly scared that I will end up with them smeared all over my face. I always go for a more matte finish to help it stay put if I'm going to wear a bold lip but even then I feel the need to regularly check it. With the help of the Maybelline Superstay lip colour, I can wear a stronger shade and have confidence that I'm not going to end up looking like a clown, hurrah! I can also apply a more nude shade and know that it's really going to last well.

Have you tried the Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Lip Colour? What do you think?

Em x