top under header

Saturday, 30 January 2016

Review: Makeup Geek Eye Shadows (Grandstand, Shimma Shimma, Creme Brulee, Cocoa Bear)


I've wanted to try the Makeup Geek eye shadows for a long time now after seeing them raved about online. They recently became more easily available in the UK because they can now be found via Beauty Bay.

After googling for swatches, I decided on buying a quad that I could use to create a complete eye look. It was difficult to know which shades to choose but in the end I went for the four shades below. Clockwise starting at the top they are Cocoa Bear, Creme Brulee, Shimma Shimma and finally Grandstand which is from the foiled eye shadow range. The normal eye shadow pans are £4.95 here and the foiled ones are £7.95 here. I also picked up a small z palette for £8.95 here because although I have a couple of the larger size, I wanted something more compact that I can put a few shadows in for everyday use-much more convenient to pop into a makeup bag.


All four shadows are smooth and pigmented and they remind me a lot of MAC, even down to the way they come packaged. I have a few MAC eye shadows that I have collected over time but they are not something I am going to buy a lot of at once when they are £10 each. I also find MAC very variable-some of them are super smooth, buttery and pigmented while other seem to have next to no colour payoff, which is pretty bad for the price point. The four makeup geek shadows I purchased, however, are all pigmented and nice to blend and work with. The one thing I will say is that the normal (non-foiled ones) do kick up quite a bit of powder when you put your brush into them so you do need to go gently rather than just shoving your brush in there, but I don't really mind that considering how nicely they go on.

Something the brand seem to be particularly good at is their range of warm, matte shades, which I just love for using in the crease to go along with more shimmery shades on the lid. I am also particularly impressed with the foiled shadow (far right in the swatches below) because the texture is insane! It is so buttery and pigmented that it feels like a cream shadow to apply and it looks beautifully metallic on the lid. I actually like to apply the crease shades with brushes then pop this shade onto the lid with my finger.

I am so impressed with these shadows that I can already see myself picking up more shades in the hopefully not too distant future!

Have you tried makeup geek eye shadows? Are there any shades you'd recommend?

Em x