top under header

Sunday, 20 December 2015

Meet Your (Foundation) Match!


I don't know about you, but I have a few foundations lurking in my make up stash that just aren't quite the right shade. Mostly this is because they're slightly too dark/ orange based. The best foundation match I've ever found is Revlon Colorstay in shade 'Buff' because it is light enough or my fair skin while being quite neutral. I have quite a bit of pink in my skin so I like something to neutralise that (if I wear a pink based foundation it adds to it and I look like I have a crazily pink face). I find that foundations that are light enough are usually too pink based...I would love to know why companies think that if you have fair skin you want to look super pink!

My issues with matching do of course limit the formulas I can wear. I really like, for example, the L'oreal Infallible Matte Foundation, but I can't get a decent match right now. Over the Summer I got away with mixing two shades but now that it's the Winter and I'm even paler (not that I was very tanned you understand, I just had slightly more colour!), I can't even mix the right shade due to their limited selection.

The Body Shop, however, might just have come up with a solution to my problem in the form of their new Shade Adjusting Drops. In these little bottles is a liquid designed to alter the shade of your foundation and they come in lightening and darkening versions. You get 15ml and it comes in a little glass bottle with a dropper type dispenser. I chose the lightening version, which is nearly white but has some pink in it, designed to neutralise yellow tones. This means that I can use a slightly too dark and orangey foundation, mix it with this, and as if by magic, it becomes the right shade! The Body Shop say that 1 drop makes you foundation half a shade lighter and 2 for a whole shade but that does of course depend how much foundation you use. I actually like to put a few days worth of foundation into a little plastic pot and mix the drops in with it so I don't have to mix the right shade every time.

I have so far tried it with the L'oreal Infallible Matte foundation and Max Factor All Day Flawless, both of which I can normally only wear in the Summer. I was able to lighten both to a make a decent match for my skin and it didn't seem to affect the texture or coverage of the foundation too much. The only slight difference was that since the L'Oreal is quite a thick foundation that can require quit a bit of effort tot blend, it seems to ever so slightly thin the texture which actually makes it easier to blend, but that's not something to complain about if you ask me!

I think these are such a good idea and it really wouldn't surprise me if more brands began to bring out similar products in the coming months. Find them here for £10.

What do you think? Have you tried Body Shop's Shade Adjusting Drops?

Em x