top under header

Thursday, 10 December 2015

A Dangerous (But Marvellous) Place



Where am I talking about? One of my favourite shops to have a snoop around, TK Maxx. I popped in there a week or two ago and their beauty section in particular was amazing! They had lots from Stila, Bare Minerals, Hourglass and even a few things from Tarte, which you can't buy in the UK unless you order from Sephora online (ppplllleeeeaaassseee! find a stockist in the UK, Tarte!). Sadly not all of it was in shades I would wear but I still came out of there with my purse a fair bit lighter. Here's what I chose...


The first thing I picked up is the Nails Inc Hyde Park base coat and Albert Bridge top coat duo (£5.99 down from £12). I really like the nails inc top and base coats and do normally pay the £12 for the set from Boots so this was a bargain!


Next I picked up Dr Bronner's Liquid Soap in the citrus scent (£3.99 down from £5.99). Although this only had a couple of pounds off, I like to use it to clean my brushes and would have repurchased it at some point anyway so I thought I might as well pick it up. I use it in combination with my brush cleaning tool and together it gets my brushes rally clean.


Stila Jewel Eye Shadow in 'Blue Sapphire' (£2.99 down from £12.00) is a gorgeous blue eye shadow with a lot of sparkle running through it. I've had my eye on these shadows for a while now so it was great to be able to try one out for such a bargain price! I'm not really into blues as far as eye shadows go (it's very easy to look like something out of the 80s if you're not careful!) but this is a sort of dusky blue shade almost with a hint of grey and I think it would look nice as part of a smokey eye.I think a blue/ navy smokey eye can actually look quite sophisticated while being a slight twist on the classic grey/ black.


Stila Magnificent Metals Lip Gloss in 'Moonstone' and 'Rose Quartz' (both £4.99 down from £16) are very shimmery, sheer lip glosses that I think will look great on top of lipsticks. They are not too sticky (I can't abide sticky lip glosses so I'm glad) but they're not so thin that they wear off in two minute either-a happy medium. I also love the packaging of these!


The last make up item I picked up was the Stila Sun Goddess Smudge Stick Duo, which contains two smudge stick eyeliners in 'Damsel' and 'Gilded' (£7.99 down from £24). Damsel is a dark brown, almost black shade that I have been through before and I loved but I think I'm correct in saying you can't normally buy this shade as an individual eye liner (my old one came with a palette). Gilded is, as you would expect from the name, a gold/ bronze shade which I will most likely wear on my lower lash line for a bit of subtle definition. I have several of these eye liners in various shades because they are such a great formula. They are super smooth to apply and can be smudged out for a few seconds before they set to a long lasting finish that for me, doesn't budge.

Swatches left to right: Stila sparkle eye shadow  'blue sapphire'; stila smudge sticks in 'gilded' and 'damsel'; stila magnificent metals lip gloss in 'moonstone' and 'rose quartz'.

I then picked up a vegetable wax candle from the brand 'Tilley Australia' for £5.99. I've never heard of the brand but I was smelling the candles and I could not resist this 'Pink Lychee' scent. It is sweet and fruity and just smells like Summer to me. Perhaps not the most appropriate for our current weather (I'm currently burning Yankee Candle 'Christmas Memories' which I LOVE) but I thought it was worth keeping hold of for a while because I love the scent so much. I've therefore yet to burn it but it's one of those candles that is so strong you can just put it in the room unlit and you can smell it. I'm hoping it will smell just as nice when I do use it!

Have you tried any of these products or found any bargains in TK Maxx lately?

Em x