top under header

Thursday, 22 October 2015

Review: Nip + Fab Deep Cleansing Fix


There's a bit of a back story to this product in that I didn't actually mean to buy it. I bought a set of the Glycolic Fix scrub and what I thought was the Glycolic Fix pads from Nip + Fab on ASOS, but it turned out that they had the wrong picture on the item and it was actually the scrub and this. I emailed their customer service about it and they said I could return it for a refund and also sent me a 10% off voucher code for the inconvenience. However, since they were a bit of a bargain (£8.99 here and the scrub is £9.95 full price on its own), I decided to keep them and give the Deep Cleansing Fix a go.

The Deep Cleansing Fix is a bit of a weird multi tasking product in that it can be used as a cleanser, moisturiser, mask and spot treatment. Nip + Fab actually claim that it has 6 uses...

The 6 different uses of Deep Cleansing Fix are:
1) Removes make-up
2) Deeply Cleanses
3) Can be used as mini 10 minute mask
4) Leave on overnight as an intensive hydrating mask
5) Can be applied directly to blemishes
6) Exfoliating action when used with muslin cloth

Now if you ask me, the sixth one is a bit of a cheat because let's be honest, it's the muslin cloth that is doing the work and it doesn't come with one. I was mostly interested in using it as a cleanser after removing my make up at night and trying it out as a spot treatment.

My first thought when I opened it is that it has a very strong smell. It's not a bad smell, but if you don't like the smell of eucalyptus and tea tree oil then you won't like it. It is a very thick cream that comes in a pot with a screw lid. This isn't my preferred packaging (I prefer a pump or a squeeze tube because it's more hygenic), but I've been getting around it by scooping a bit out with a spatula I had from a long-gone foundation that came in a pot. One thing I will say is that is contains a huge 300ml which will last quite a while even you're using it every day.

So how does it work on the skin? Well as a cleanser, I feel like it does a good job of cleaning my skin without drying it out. It's thick texture feels nice and moisturising but doesn't leave a greasy film after rinsing it off, so I imagine it would be good for all skin types. I have oily skin and I still like to use something that doesn't strip my skin too much since that only makes it more oily in the long run. I haven't risked going near my eyes with it because I have quite sensitive eyes and the strong smell seems like it might not mix with sensitive eyes very well. This isn't really an issue for me though since I remove the majority of my make up first then use this as a proper cleanse afterwards.

As a spot treatment? Well, since it does contain tea tree, it does seem to help clear them and I feel like it's a nice thing to use as a targeted mask. If you're around the house, then putting a bit onto any blemishes and leaving alone for a while does seem to help. However, as a bedtime treatment (which is when I'd usually use something like that) I much prefer to use the Nip + Fab Overnight Purifying Gel (see my post about it here, buy it here) if I'm generally a little bit spotty/congested or the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Rapid Clear Treatment (£3.99 here) for a more targeted treatment on a larger spot. I get a more noticeable result with either of those, seeing any spots drastically reduce overnight.

Overall? For my skin, this is definitely best used as a cleanser. On drier skins, I can see that it would work nicely as a hydrating mask with added slight blemish fighting propeties because it is so thick and moisturising feeling. I'm not about to try that on my skin because I've no doubt that it would be too much for my combo-oily skin. I feel like it would be more of a multi use product for drier skins but personally I will just use it as a cleanser/ 'around the house' spot treatment.

The strange thing is that I wasn't wowed by this cleanser at first but I've been using it for a few weeks now and I must say that it's grown on me. I feel like it works well for my skin and I have been reaching for it over the other cleanser that I have open at the moment. I also feel like it works out to be really good value considering the size of the pot and the fact that I have hardly put a dent in it. You don't need to use a lot, either.

Have you tried the Nip + Fab Deep Cleansing Fix? What do you think?

Em x