top under header

Thursday, 8 October 2015

Fashion: Lace It Up!


I've been eyeing these lace up pointed flats for a while now and I been seeing them everywhere. A lot of websites seem to be referring to them as 'Ghillie shoes', which I believe are actually the lace up ballet sort of shoes worn for Irish and Highland dancing (google it and you can see where the inspiration came from!). They're one of those styles that have definitely come back-I remember having a very similar style back when I was in school from the brand Rocket Dog, but the laced part was actually elastic so they slipped on rather than needing to tie them.

A good pair of smart/ casual flats that I could wear with jeans and a nice top for going of for dinner/ casual drinks etc was something I felt was missing from my shoe collection. I have my Clarks flats I wear for work (they're not that glamorous but are super comfy for being on my feet for most of the day) and a few pairs of ballet flats (black, pink, gold, glittery) but I wanted something black, flat and a bit more stylish.

The ASOS 'Lana' flats in the black shade seemed to fit the bill and are £28 here (they also have them in a bright red, a cobalt blue and snake print). I like that these particular ones have a bit more shoe and a bit less lace if that makes any sense, since the shape of the shoe comes up at the sides. I figured it might be a little more comfortable than having just the lace up part right across the top of the foot. I am generally a size 6.5 in shoes but sometimes buy a 7 depending on the style and whether they come in half sizes. ASOS don't do half sizes so I went for a 7, figuring that the pointed style actually makes them a little smaller on the toes. They seem to fit well so I'd go up if you're in between sizes.

I feel like these look really chic and lady like for some reason (maybe it's the pointed toe?) and they make me feel a bit more 'grown up' than a pair of ballet flats (she says, at the age of 28 haha). I've also seen a similar pair with a rounded toe in a berry shade from Next (find them here) that I think would be a gorgeous shade for Autumn. Do I need two pairs in similar styles? Probably not but I could be tempted.

Have you tried out the lace up flats trend? What do you think?

Em x