top under header

Monday, 14 September 2015

The Lip Product Clear Out


I have a lot of lip products that I've collected over time and it occurred to me recently that honestly I seem to go back to the same handful of shades for everyday wear plus a few others for evening. I find that if I have too much of a make up item (which is all too tempting) I sort of forget about what I have and it ends up sitting there, unloved and going out of date. Added to that, we're currently living in a small 1 bedroom flat while we save for a mortgage deposit and I just don't have the room to house all this stuff (I dream of one day having the room for a nice dressing table). As tough as it is to get rid of things (the struggle is real!), I decided it was time to do something about it and what you see above is what I'm getting rid of.


Something I discovered is that for someone who doesn't wear lip gloss very often (I used to love it but am more of a lipstick girl these days), I owned a lot of them. I just didn't need that many so I've downsized there. I used to have a thing about the Lancome Juicy Tubes and I must have had about 10 of them at one time. I threw some away the last time I had a clear out but I haven't used the ones that were left since and they're quite old now so they need to go. The Urban Decay lip gloss I am getting rid of mostly because it tastes of mint and for some reason I've never got on very well with mint scented/ favoured lip products. The Bourjois ones are just too old to be still hanging round and have started to smell a bit funny. The Revlon ones just aren't shades I reach for and the same for the L'oreal ones on the end.

Another thing I noticed is that I owned quite a few lip products in bold shades, which again I just don't wear that often. I'm guilty of thinking they look super pretty and but ultimately being more comfortable with more eye make up and more of a nude/ neutral lip. I'm sure I can't be the only one who worries about getting lipstick on my teeth or smeared round my face when wearing a bold shade. When I do wear one, I usually reach for a more matte/ long lasting formula to avoid it slipping and sliding around. As a result there are only really a few that I keep coming back to so some of them had to go! 


The shades are my only problem with most of the products in the photo above although the two Urban Decay lippies on the right are so ancient that they're in the old style packaging and as for the hoard of L'oreal ones at the top, I decided I didn't like the texture. They are glossy lipsticks that feel moisturising at first and I liked them for that (hence having so many!). However,after trying the Revlon lip butters, I found I preferred those and they are much more moisturising (the two of those that are going are purely because I don't think I suit the shades). The L'oreal ones seem to make my lips feel dry after I've reapplied them a few times during the day.

A lot of the things I'm getting rid of are headed for the bin due to expiry dates, although there is the odd thing that just isn't a shade I like on me and I might pass on to my younger sister. I think products like lip glosses with a wand that you keep dunking back into the product probably shouldn't be kept for longer than about 12-18 months. Lipsticks are said to last a bit longer, with the general consensus being around the two year mark. It's also important to keep an eye on them though-if something starts to change consistency or the smell changes then you know it's time to toss it.

I was quite impressed with myself for getting rid of so many and my lip products are now much more organised and actually all things I will use! All I have to do now is try to keep it that way!

Em x