top under header

Friday, 4 September 2015

My Favourite Things About Autumn/ Fall


Autumn is almost here (let's be honest, we had about a week of real 'Summer' here in the North of England haha). People often get sad at the thought of Summer being over but here are my top ten reasons why you can look forward to Autumn, too! :-)

1. Autumn/ Winter clothes. I don't know about you but I love wearing snuggly jumpers and scarves. I also love to wear Autumnal shades like the blouse in the picture above-those dark reds and oranges go so nicely with Autumn leaves. Living in England, I actually find it easier to dress in Autumn/ Winter because our weather is almost always unpredictable through the Summer.

2.  It's time to wear my boots! I'm especially looking forward to getting my UGGs out. They might not be the most glamorous looking footwear and I will be honest, I used to be quite unsure about them, but my oh my are they comfortable and warm. Until you've worn a pair, I am not joking when I say you cannot possibly understand exactly how warm and comfortable they are. I'm sure most normal people just have one pair but I seem to be building a small collection.

3. Cosy nights in with a fluffy blanket and a DVD. Nights in just aren't the same in Summer. The blanket in the picture above was a gift from a friend last Christmas. It's from Next and is the fluffiest, most cosy thing ever.

4. There's nothing like a cosy pair of Winter PJs. I love hitting up Primark come September/ October and getting one or two new pairs.

5. Being more low maintenance is always nice...I know I'm not the only one who worries a bit less about their legs looking white and stubbly during the Winter months haha.

6. Those days when there's a chill in the air but it's still bright and sunny are amazing as far as I'm concerned.

7. Lazy Sunday afternoon walks in the park as the leaves are changing colour and falling to the ground. I may supposedly be a grown up but I still love the crunching sound of the leaves under my feet.

8. Comfort food. I love to make soups, stews and casseroles during the Atumn and Winter. If you work full time, you NEED a slow cooker. Put all your ingredients in the night before and in the morning, add stock and switch it onto low. It will cook everything very slowly so that by the time you come home, you have a hot meal ready and waiting. This can actually be pretty healthy, too. My favourite is diced chicken with lots of veg and some veg stock, which makes a healthy yet very comforting chicken stew.

9. Hot Chocolate is one of my favourite treats. For an extra special treat, add some monin coffee syrup (this is the same brand that they use in Costa). I can find a few flavours in my local Tesco, or you can hit up Amazon for a wider selection. My favourite is Gingerbread, YUM! I also picked up a hazelnut one from a brand called 'Vedrenne' in Asda recently so I will be giving that one a go soon.

10. Scented candles are just not the same in the warmer months. For me, they're more of an Atumn/Winter thing. I have a Yankee Candle in 'Christmas Memories' from last year that I'm waiting to continue to burn-it smells like cinnamon goodness! I'm not wishing for Christmas to come quite yet but that spicy sort of scent just reminds me of Autumn and Winter in general.

What do you look forward to most about Autumn/ Fall?

Em x