top under header

Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Highlighting for Oily Skin

Top left to right: Max Factor Creme Puff Blush 'Lovely Pink'; Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Highlighter 'Rose Illumination'; Max Factor Creme Puff Blush 'Alluring Rose'. Bottom left to right: Makeup Revolution Radiant Lights 'Breathe'; Laura Geller Baked Highlighter 'French Vanilla'; Stila All Over Shimmer Duo 'Kitten'
Until the last few months, I reserved highlighting for evening only. As someone with combination-oily skin, I thought it was quite a scary thing to wear shimmery highlighting products during the day. We always want the opposite of what we have and I am forever using products to cancel out the light bulb-esque shine that my nose likes to produce.

However, I've recently had a gradual change of heart. It started with beginning to like blushes that have a slight sheen to them rather than being completely matte. I love formulas like the Max Factor Creme Puff Blushes (£8.99/ 3 for 2 via Superdrug here or buy on get on half price via Boots here). They have a gorgeous sheen without looking too shiny or glittery and are so easily blended that they almost blend themselves. I began to think that this sort of finish was actually quite flattering and that it livened up my face if I was going to keep the rest of my skin matte.

A few months ago, I discovered Makeup Revolution's 'Radiant Lights' higlighter in the shade 'Breathe' (£6 via Superdrug here). I read a few reviews comparing these highlighters to the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders (which are a LOT more expensive) and saying that this shade in particular made a good, subtle highlight. I like to use this both applied lightly over a matte blush to give it a slightly glowy look and also applied slightly more heavily to my cheekbones, inner corners of my eyes, and if I feel like it, a tiny bit under my brows (although generally during the day I choose to keep my brow bone matte). See my review here. Before I knew it, I was highlighting my cheekbones DURING THE DAY. Who have I become? haha. You can see some of my other favourite highlighters in the photo above.

So my message is to not be scared of any sort of glow on your skin. By all means keep your base matte, but I honestly find it more flattering to put a slight amount of glow back into the skin as it stops you looking completely flat. The key is to pick the right products that give a glowy rather than glittery look and to place them strategically (personally, no way would anything glowy ever go near my t-zone). For this reason, I like to apply my highlight with a brush that's not too big, like the Real Techniques Contour Brush (pictured above) from the Core Collection (find it here for £13.95 or in Boots stores). Using a smaller brush gives you more control over where the product is going.

You can, of course, highlight using more matte products such as a lighter shade of concealer or a matte powder a couple of shades lighter than your skin, but for now I'm enjoying the slightly more glowy look.

Do you still highlight oily skin? Do you have any tips and tricks or favourite products?

Em x