top under header

Friday, 18 September 2015

Beauty Empties and Mini Reviews #14


I had another bag full of empty beauty products so I thought it was about time I told you what I think about them and whether I will be repurchasing them...


Makeup

1. Urban Decay All Nighter Make Up Setting Spray. I used to love this stuff and I've been through a few of them but over the Summer I didn't use it very often because although I do feel like it prolongs your make up, I also feel like it makes me look a little bit shiny in my t zone. I think I prefer it in Autumn/ Winter when I'm not as oily, but whether I will repurchase I'm not sure. It's weird how you can really like something then go off it.

2. L'oreal Infallible 24 Hour Matte Foundation in 'Porcelain'. I used this foundation pretty much none stop since I bought it, although recently I have been reaching for my Revlon Colorstay instead. I love that the L'oreal stays matte for a really long time, even in warmer weather. It take a bit more effort to blend it than most foundations but my main bug bear is that I can't get a good colour match. I have to mix porcelain with vanilla because porcelain is too pink toned while vanilla is too dark. Realistically it's still not a perfect match to my skintone and I have to blend carefully. I can get an excellent match in the Colorstay (my shade is 'buff') so sometimes it's just easier. I will probably repurchase despite this but please bring out some more shades L'oreal!

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder does what it says on the tin and is something I repurchase over and over although I'm trying to use up another powder I have before I get another of these.

4. Essence matte eye shadow in shade 22 'Blockbuster' is was nicely pigmented matte cream shade. I like this sort of shade for my brow bone highlight and I would be happy enough to use this again but I prefer Make Up Revolution's version (the shade is called 'Touch Me'), which is more pigmented again as well as being cheaper at a bargainous £1. I will therefore not be repurchasing.

5. Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer is a great lighter coverage concealer for the under eye area if you don't suffer too badly with dark circles. I would happily use it again but for now I feel like the Rimmel Match Perfection concealer is a better colour match-the lightest shade in the Wake Me Up is not quite as light as I'd like it to be.

6. Bourjois Liner Feutre is a felt tip liquid liner. I don't use these very often, preferring to use a pencil eyeliner for daytime use. When I do use this type of liner I prefer the Collection one because it's longer lasting and smudges less on my sometimes watery eyes. I used this up but wouldn't repurchase.

7. I think I got the Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara as part of a set and I used it up but to me it was just ok. For the price, there was nothing special about it and I much prefer Boots Seventeen's Falisfeye HD, which has a similar plastic brush but is more dramatic and a lot cheaper. I wouldn't buy this again.

8. The Sleek Eyebrow Stylist has a slanted twist up brow pencil at one end and a spoolie on the other. It's something I've been through a few of now and I'm well under way using another. The only thing I would say is that I'm a brunette and use shade light, so if you're blonde it's probably going to be too dark.

9. Soap and Glory Smoulderkohl in 'Cocoa Bean' is a lovely dark brown eyeliner that you can smudge out but it then sets to a long lasting finish. As you can see I used this right down to a little nub and I've already repurchased. My original one was from a Christmas set so doesn't have the same lid, but the one I just started using has a sharpener in the lid as a handy bonus.

10. Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheets. Not a lot to say about these really apart from they are my favourite blotting papers. Unfortunately they have been discontinued but you can still buy them online. I have a few backups as I stocked up when I found them in my local Home Bargains for 29p a pack.

11. Maybelline Superstay Nail Polish in 'Mint For Life' is such a pretty shade. It's rare that I finish a nail polish but this one got some serious use through Spring and Summer. I have repurchased it because I love the shade and the formula, which lasts better on my nails than any other polish I've tried (including much more expensive ones).



Bath and Body/ Fragrance

1. I really enjoyed this 'Exotic Retreat Bubble Heaven' bubble bath from Champney's. This was the last of a Christmas gift set containing three scents that I bought in the January sales. They smell lovely and make sort of soft, moisturising feeling bubbles. I'm trying to use up bath and body products at the moment but I would definitely consider buying this in the future.

2. Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Body Wash smells amazing and the 500ml bottle lasts sooooo long. It's worth buying just for the smell but I actually already have another one that came in a gift I received.

3. Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Buttercream has the same zingy lime scent and is a nice body moisturiser that again I'd recommend but I have another that came in the same set.

4. Ghost Deep Night perfume is one of my favourites for evenings out. If you like sweet, vamilla type fragrances but want something a bit more night time appropriate then you'll like this one. It's also the longest lasting on me of all the perfumes I've ever tried, including much more expensive ones. I just opened another that someone bought me as a gift and I had it waiting for when I finished my other one.

5. Nivea Invisible Anti-persperant x 2 (one roll on, one mini spray). I like this deodorant because it really doesn't mark clothes, which is something I really dislike about some. I used the roll on at home and the mini spray for my handbag to freshen up on long days. I'm currently using a Sure one but would definitely pick this up again.


Skincare

1. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Cream Wash is my morning face wash and I've already started a new one. It contains salicylic acid which is good for oily/ spot prone skin but it isn't too harsh and stripping due to the creamy formula.

2. Soap and Glory Peaches and Clean Facial Wash is a nice product but I don't actually use it as intended. It is one of those products with acids in that smooth out the skin but I feel like those things need time to work. I sort of use it like a face mask, putting it onto dry skin, leaving it for 5 minutes then washing it off, so the acids actually have time to work. It works nicely like that and I have another one but please be careful doing it if you have sensitive skin as it can leave my skin a bit pink and it's quite used to chemical exfoliant products.

3. Nuxe Reve De Miel Lip Balm is the best lip balm I've ever tried and I've been through a few of them. It's sort of a bit more like a lip mask really and I have already repurchased.


Hair Products

1. Batiste Dry Shampoo is the best I've tried for oily hair. Other dry shampoos may not leave the white cast that this can (you do have to be careful to brush it all out) but I don't find that they soak up the oil as well. This is something I always have on the go.

2. Macadamia Healing Oil Treatment is great for adding a bit more moisture into the hair while it's wet. It's not a very oily oil and the texture is more serum like really. I am currently using up a Garnier one that I already had open (I was going between the two for a while) but I think I prefer the Macadamia one. It's quite expensive but you can quite often get it on offer online. I think I will be repurchasing it once I am near the end of the Garnier.

That seems like an awful lot of products to use up in a month but I have so many products with a little bit left that I'm trying to use up to get rid of some clutter.

Which beauty products have you finished lately? Would you recommend them?

Em x