top under header

Monday, 6 July 2015

How To Make Your Make Up Last In The Heat: Combination/ Oily Skin


When the temperatures begin to climb, keeping make up on your face can be tricky. I sometimes like to just use a bit of concealer on the areas that need it as far as base makeup goes, so I don't have to worry about foundation getting melty, but sometimes you still want to look put together-it is wedding/ Summer party season after all. Here's what I do to keep everything in place when I need to...


Preparing the skin is just as important as the make up itself in how well things last. I have an oily t-zone and more normal cheeks usually, but it seems to go into oil producing overdrive in the warm weather. I like using the Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF15 (£33.30 here) to remedy this-it does a good job of keeping the skin matte for quite a few hours.


Primer is an important step too, to give a good base for your foundation to sit on top of. What I wouldn't recommend if your skin is on the oily side is using a totally silicone based primer. The overly slippery feeling that those primers give makes my skin feel more greasy and makes my makeup slide off faster, if anything. My favourite is the Max Factor All Day Primer (£10.99/ 3 for 2 here), which as an added bonus, contains SPF20. It has some silicones in it but feels smoothing rather than slippery-somewhere between a silicone primer and a moisturiser. It really does prolong my make up.

An eye primer is an essential for me too. I like the Urban Decay Primer Potion (£16 hereor Too Faced Shadow Insurance (£17 here) best. Either of these prevent my eye make up from fading or creasing. If you're looking for a budget alternative, then the MUA Pro Base Eye Primer (£2.50 here) works pretty well too, it just doesn't last quite as long as the more expensive versions.


Thin Layers of base products seem to last better for me-too much foundation will not only look very obvious in bright sunshine but will quickly melt and feel sticky, gloopy and gross on the skin. My favourite foundation lately has been a thin layer of L'oreal Infallible Matte Foundation (£7.99/ 2 for £12 here), which really is very matte and long lasting-excellent for more oily skins. For any blemishes, I use the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer (£4.19 here), which has high coverage so you don't need to use a lot of it and once it sets, it doesn't budge.


Setting can also make a real difference. I like to spray the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray (£21 here) over my face once I have applied my foundation and concealer. I used to use it after powdering but now I prefer to use it before because although it does help with lasting power, it leaves a slight shine on the skin. Powdering afterwards counteracts this. I use Rimmel Stay Matte Powder (£3.99 here), which does what it says on the tin and doesn't look too heavy or cakey.


What are your favourite products for keeping your make up on in hot weather?

Em x