top under header

Thursday, 23 July 2015

Beauty Empties and Mini Reviews #12


It's that time again when I have a bag full of empty beauty products. I've really been working on finishing some of my half used things so I don't have so many products open at once. Here are my thoughts on the things I've finished in the last month or so...

Hair

Tigi Catwalk Headshot conditioner (750ml on offer for £13.98 here). This is an amazing , really hydrating, conditioner that can also be used as a mask if you leave it on for longer. It smells a bit like a strawberry milkshake to me so it's a win win. This is in the old style of packaging because I purchased several of them when they were a really good price in TK Maxx, since I knew it was one of my favourites. It is a huge pump bottle (750ml) and I must have been through about 10 of them so that shows you how much I like it. I like buying big pump bottles because they last a few months even with long hair. I have a couple of other conditioners that I'm going to use up first, but I'd definitely consider buying this again when I need one, particularly if I see it on offer.

Batiste Eden (£3.29 here) appeared in a recent beauty favourites post of mine because it smells so nice, almost like a perfume. The scent is 'sugar melon and honeysuckle'. It does a good job of absorbing oils like any other batiste. I am currently working on a can of a different scent but I will be coming back to this one.

Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp shampoo (£4.99 for 500ml/ 3 for £10 heredid a good job of soothing my scalp when it felt a little bit irritated (product overload, I think!). It has a cooling feeling on the scalp that makes your hair feel like it's really fresh and clean, too. I don't use this sort of shampoo all the time but it's something I would definitely buy again if I felt my scalp needed it.

Skincare

Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water (on offer for £3.29 hereis usually in my empties because it's cheap, you get a great big 400ml bottle and it does what it says on the tin. Great for removing make up before cleansing the skin. I've already repurchased.

Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Cream Wash (£4.89 hereis my favourite morning face wash. It contains salicylic acid so is great for spot prone skin but doesn't dry the skin out too much due to the creamy formula. Already Repurchased.

La Roche Posay Serozinc (£8.50 here or 2 for £10 here) is a spray toner that is great for hydration and also for spots because it contains zinc. Again, already repurchased.

Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF15 (£32.84 with free delivery and a free gift here)is something that I actually pulled out because I had about a third of a tube left from last Summer and I wanted to use it up, with SPF products generally only lasting 12 months (although on the back of this one it actually says 24 months). I'd sort of forgotten how good it was at keeping me matte during warmer weather and I've been enjoying it. The only slight issues are that it is thick and gloopy and feels a bit like you're putting PVA glue on your face at first (but it soon absorbs) and that it is a little pricey. It does a good job though and it's worth looking out for offers online. I would consider repurchasing it.

La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat (£14.50 hereis also a great day moisturiser for oilier skins. I use it under an SPF primer though, because it doesn't contain any. It isn't as oil controlling as the Murad, which is far more mattifying in hot weather, but it is a light and non greasy gel-cream texture. You can regularly get this on offer for around £9-10 from Boots or Escentual.com. I already have a new one of these because it's a good basic moisturiser for me so I tend to buy a backup if I see it on offer.

Body Care/ Toiletries

Sanctuary Relax Nourishing Bath Soak smells lovely and makes luxurious feeling bubbles. I have 2 backups of this because after is was discontinued, I found it cheaply in B&M so I bought some more. If you see it anywhere, I'd recommend it.

Dove Visible Effects Body Lotion is a gel-cream texture that sinks in really quickly so it's great for using when you want to get dressed quickly. It doesn't have much of a scent so is nice one for using in the morning if you're going to use perfume as it won't clash. I suspect that this one may have been discontinued as I can't find it online but it's a nice one if you do see it anywhere.

3 x Sure/ Nivea Antiperspirants. I have 3 because I always misplace a half used one and open a new one, use half of it and the old one turns up hahaFor everyday use I use the 'invisible' anti-antiperspirants as they don't mark clothes.-normally whichever one is on offer at Boots/ Superdrug/ the supermarket. Not a lot more I can say really but I would recommend them and repurchase one of them each time I need one.

Make Up

Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin (£12.99/ 3 for 2 here). This used to be my favourite foundation and I still really like it but the L'oreal Infallible Matte is a serious competititor now as it keeps me matte for longer. I get really quite oily in the t zone so that is something that's quite important for me in a foundation. Having said that, the L'oreal requires a bit more effort to make sure it is well blended and even looking, so I still like the colorstay when I'm looking for something quick and easy that lasts. I can also get a really good colour match in the colorstay whereas I have to mix shades in the L'oreal. There are pros and cons of each and I'm going backwards and forwards between the two at the moment. I already have a new bottle of the colorstay as I bought them while they were on 3 for 2.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder (£3.99/ buy one get one half price hereis great for setting my make up into place to help it last as well as helping me to stay matte. I have lost count how many times I've repurchased this, it's one of my essentials.

Bourjois 'Poudre de Riz' (£9.99/ 3 for 2 hereis a pale pink, glowy loose powder that is great for setting under eye concealer. It keeps the area nice and bright and non-cakey. If you have dry skin, you might like it dusted lightly all over. Repurchased.

Perfume

Marc Jacobs Dot (50ml for £34.95 here, normally £50) is a lovely perfume for Summer-very fruity and juicy smelling. The fancy bits on the bottle have actually fallen off in case you're wondeing because I cleverly dropped it on my laminate floor not once but twice, and I've lost the lid too. I would love to own this one again but am trying to use up some other perfumes first.

Nails

Seche Restore (£9 via ASOS hereis an amazing nail polish thinner. This bottle has literally lasted me years and it does a really good job of thinning nail polish that has started to thicken and go a bit gloopy. This is a great item for people who have a lot of nail polish because of course if you have a lot, you tend to go through them more slowly. I haven't repurchased it yet but probably will at some point.

Which beauty products have you used up lately?

Em x