top under header

Sunday, 19 July 2015

Aromatherapy Associates Bath and Shower Oils: Worth the Hype?



I have heard so many good things about the Aromatherapy Associates bath and shower oils online over the years, but they have a pretty expensive price tag. The full sized 55ml bottles are around the £40-45 mark full price, depending where you buy them. 

However, I was browsing the Beauty Bay sale when I spotted this little set of 3 7.5ml miniatures (originally £27) in the sale. I also had a discount code for use on sale items so it only ended up being around £6! I thought this was an amazing deal considering the original price and decided that it was a great opportunity to try them.It said you could get up to 3 baths from each bottle, so 9 in total from the set.

So...are the worth the hype? Well...I have had a few baths with them now and I must say that they are super relaxing. The 'relax deep' scent is my favourite. It contains sandalwood, which I love the smell of, and it really does help me get a better night's sleep. This was particularly important at the weekend when I really wasn't feeling good. I was full of cold after finishing work for the Summer holidays (it's so annoying how I always get to my time off then get ill). After a bath with a couple of cap fulls of this (around a 3rd of the little bottle), I was so relaxed that I drifted straight off when my head hit the pillow. We all know how difficult it can be to get to sleep when you feel like you can barely breathe, but this did the job excellently. The scent really is pretty strong because they are so concentrated-I could smell it despite not being able to smell much else and it filled the bathroom with the scent.



The usage instructions online said to run the bath first then add the oil in at the end, which I have been doing. You can also apply them to your body then get in the shower, but for me this sort of thing is definitely more of a bath product. At first, they just sort of float on the surface in visible blobs but as soon as you give the water a little swish about, they disperse through the water. I wouldn't say that they made a vast difference to how my skin felt like some bath oils that are designed for their skin softening/ moisturising properties, but I do think that they make the water sort of slightly softer and a little more moisturising if that makes sense. I still felt the need to put on a body moisturiser afterwards. I think these are more about the relaxing experience than what they do for your skin.

Would I repurchase? Well the answer is that I have already purchased a full size of the 'Relax deep' scent since it was my favourite. I did, however, get it on sale (back to the Beauty Bay website I went). It was on sale for £16 then there was a 10% off code, making it £14.40. It's still in stock here but you'll have to be quick because everything seems to be selling out quickly! Considering that they say a bottle is enough for 20 baths, and the fact that it really helped me sleep easier, I don't think that's too bad-it makes it 72p per bath. If you think about people who constantly buy Lush bath bombs (I went through a phase of being one of those people), then this works out cheaper and in my opinion feels far more luxurious.


Would I buy them at full price? Probably not for myself. I think this is one of those items that I would look out for in sales and save for when I have time to lie in the bath for quite a while and really enjoy it. Of course, if you have a particular problem with sleeping then they may be worth the full price to you, but for me they are a little luxury treat rather than a necessity and I just don't think I could bring myself to pay that.  I think they would make such a nice gift for someone who likes a bit of pampering or has trouble sleeping, though.

Have you tried the Aromatherapy Associates Bath and Shower oils? Do you think they're worth the price tag?

Em x