top under header

Friday, 3 July 2015

5 Great Red/ Berry Lipsticks



In my mini series of 5 great lipsticks from each colour family, today is the turn of the reds/ berries. I don't really like a straight up bright red on me but I like darker reds, berries or sheer shades of red, which I find easier to wear. I tend to wear them for evening unless they are a sheer formula because they look quite dramatic against my fair skin tone. These are perhaps not the most seasonal shades for June but since I have turned this into a little series (see the nudes here, pinks here and corals here), I thought I would include them anyway...

From left to right above:

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella (available via ASOS for £19 with free delivery here) is a deep red that is matte and super long lasting. Since it's in pencil form, I don't feel the need to use a lip liner, unlike with most other reds/ deeper shades. It does get a little drying after a few hours so you need to make sure your lips are in good condition/ moisturised before wearing this one.

MAC Russian Red (£15.50 here) is a bit brighter but still isn't a super bright red. This one makes my teeth look very white and isn't quite a drying as the NARS but is still long lasting.

Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Lipstick in 30 (£5.49 via Boots here) is a berry shade with a slight bit of purple to it that looks lovely in the Autumn/ Winter months.

Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in 107 (£5.49 via Boots hereis a burgundy sort of shade that's long lasting due to it's matte formula but isn't as drying as a lot of other matte lipsticks.

Lipstick Queen Medieval (£22 via FeelUnique hereis a super sheer, easy to wear red that's great if you're scared of the shade. It's super moisturising and gives the lips a nice rosy tint. This brand isn't as readily available in the shops as the others. You can pick it up at Space NK or the best place to buy online is Feel Unique  as they have free worldwide delivery. They are pretty pricey but I picked mine up as part of the Lipstick Queen Discovery Kit (£40 here), which I actually got for under £10 in TK Maxx. It was an absolute bargain that I snapped up!

What are your favourite red/ berry lipsticks?

Em x