top under header

Monday, 27 April 2015

How to Protect Your Skin: Facial SPF Without the Grease



We all know how important it is to protect our skin with SPF but it can be difficult when you have oily or sensitive skin and you don't want oily products that cause you problems. Since the weather's beginning to get warmer and sunnier here, it's even more important if you're going to be spending a lot of time outside. I thought I'd share the SPF products I like to use on my face.

1) Max Factor All Day Flawless primer is a great makeup primer that helps my makeup last and smooths my skin out to make foundation apply more nicely. It also contains SPF 20. If I was going to be spending much time outside I would definitely not rely on SPF in my makeup, BUT when I'm just going to work etc and am going to be indoors most of the day, I feel like this is enough to give my skin a little bit of protection.You can find it here for £10.99 and it's currently on 3 for 2.

2) If you are looking for more of a moisturiser type product and you have oily skin, Murad Oil Control Mattifier is amazing at keeping skin matte and also contains SPF 15. This is not by any means the nicest stuff to apply because it sort of feels like applying glue to your face. It has a very thick texture and takes a bit of time to spread, BUT if you have super oily skin this stuff is a God send! I tend to use this in place of my morning moisturiser if I need my makeup to last through a super long day or I know I won't really be able to touch up because it really does stop the oil breaking through my foundation. I wouldn't use it for everyday purposes but I know I can rely on it when I need it. It is another one of those products that provides me with some sun protection if I'm not going to be spending much time outside. It is a little pricey at £37 normally, but it is currently on sale at FeelUnique for £29.60 here. For oily skinned girls, it is worth it.

3) Now onto the 'proper' sunscreens for when I'm spending time outside...I currently have the Soap and Glory Make Yourself Youthful Sunshield Superfluid SPF 50. I really like this as a facial sunscreen because it is very liquidy. It comes in one of those bottles with a ball inside to help shake it up. After applying, I give it a couple of minutes to sink in before moving onto my makeup and it doesn't have that dreaded greasy feeling. It feels reasonably light on my combination-oily skin considering the protection I'm getting from it and doesn't break me out. A 30ml tube is £15 here, but Soap and Glory is one of those brand that Boots often has on 3 for 2 so look out for offers!

4) Although I haven't got a tube at the moment, La Roche Posay also make some excellent lightweight sunscreens. The La Roche-Posay Anthelios Face Anti Shine Fluid SPF30 is £16 for a 50ml bottle here and the La Roche-Posay Anthelois Face Ultra-Light Fluid SPF50+ is £16.50 for 50ml here. I have used these sunscreens before and again they are quite runny in texture and don't leave my skin feeling overloaded or greasy.

What are your favourite non-greasy facial SPF products?

Em x