top under header

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

April Beauty Favourites



I've been making an effort to pull out beauty products I haven't used in a while and just enjoy what I have this month instead of buying more, especially because I'm trying to avoid spending too much money at the moment and put money into savings for various things. This has resulted in me rediscovering lots of old favourites, which is never a bad thing! I actually had to whittle it down to the few things I've used the most but honestly I could have included a lot more.

I've gone back to using the Urban Decay naked palette (the original one). I actually used up more or less an entire palette when I originally bought it because I was literally obsessed and used it everyday for months. Most of the shades were gone so I bought a replacement. I did use it a few times but then got distracted by other palettes. Coming back to it has made me realise why I loved it in the first place. I have been doing everything from a very natural look to a dark smokey eye with it but my most worn look was the one I wrote about here.

Illamasqua blushes in 'hussy' and 'nymph' (£21.50 each here). I love Illamasqua blushes because they are such good quality. I actually managed to score both of these for around £10 each in the ASOS sale at the time, which was an absolute steal. They are well pigmented and don't fade during the day. I use a fluffy blush brush to avoid clown cheeks and they blend so nicely.Unfortunately I dropped my makeup bag and one of them has now got a crack in the corner...although it could have been a lot worse.

To pair with the blushes, which are more on the matte side, I have been using Makeup Revolution Radiant Lights highlighter in 'Breathe'. This is a very subtle highlighter that I like to brush over my blush to give a subtle glow without my already oily skin looking even more oily or shimmery (see my review here).


On my lips, I have been mixing it up this month but there are a couple of things I have been using the most. The first is a combination of Urban Decay 24/7 lip liner and lipstick in 'Streak'. This creates quite a bright lip, which isn't always something I go for. However, I've had some time off work this month so have felt that I can be a bit more adventurous with my makeup. I have found that with the liner used as a base, my lippy lasts and lasts. I'm actually thinking of picking up a couple more shades of the Urban Decay liners and lipsticks at some point for this reason. Revlon lip butter in 'strawberry shortcake' has been my more natural lip option this month and I've been wearing it with the more pink blush.

I tried a new foundation in March, L'oreal Infallible 24 hr Matte, which I did a review of here. I said in my review that the shade I picked up was a little too dark and the lightest shade wasn't quite right for me either. However, I liked it so much that I picked up the lightest shade and have been mixing the two to get a better shade match. It has definitely been...dare I say it...competing with my trusty Revlon Colorstay. I feel like it smooths over my skin more than the colorstay and makes pores and things a bit less noticeable. It has good coverage and lasting power and does keep my combination-oily skin quite matte.

I also went back to my Bourjois Healthy Mix concealer for concealing under my eyes this month after a few late nights. A little goes a long way with this stuff, it gives really good coverage. I like to dot it on using the plastic applicator on the tube then blend it out using the Real Techniques Miracle complexion sponge.

A skincare favourite of mine this month has been the Soap and Glory Peaches and Clean, which is a cleanser with fruit acids that chemically exfoliate the skin and really smooth it. I hadn't used it for a while and had sort of forgotten about it but while rummaging through my skincare stash discovered I had about a third of a bottle left. Rather than using it like a normal face wash, however, I like to pop it onto my face in a thick layer, almost like a mask, leave it for 5 minutes then wash it off, meaning that my skin gets more benefit from its exfoliating properties and feels super smooth afterwards. I would be careful about doing this if you have super sensitive skin because I do feel a bit of a tingle.

What were your favourite beauty products in April?

Em x