top under header

Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Review and Comparison: L'oreal Infallible 24 hour matte foundation


I picked up the L'oreal Infallible 24 hour matte foundation a couple of weeks back but didn't want to mention it on here until I'd given it a good test. Now I have, so here we go...

Mine is in the shade '11 Vanilla', which is a decent match but is ever so slightly too dark. The palest shade, porcelain, was too pink on me (I have a lot of pink in my skin and rosy cheeks so I like to use a neutral or more yellow toned foundation to balance it out). I do wish there were a few more shades as there were only 6 in Boots. which are obviously not going to be perfect for everyone. I can make it work by blending it down my neck but I imagine it will be a closer match as the weather gets a little warmer and I have a little more colour in my face.

I like the packaging of this foundation, a simple squeeze tube with a narrow 'nozzle' (not sure what else to call it?!). This makes it easy to travel with, easy to get the right amount of product out and also easy get all of the product out, right down to the bottom...all for the budget friendly price of £6.99.

So....how does it perform on the skin?

L'oreal claim that the foundation has a 'matte result that lasts up to 24 hours. I must say that I find it more than a little bit silly when companies claim this....I mean who on earth wears make up for 24 hours? I have been testing this over my usual primer (Max Factor Facefinity All Day primer) and under my usual powder (Rimmel Stay Matte) so that I could fairly compare it with my favourite Revlon colorstay. I think it's a good one to compare to since both claim to be long lasting. I would say that the level of oil control is about the same. I have been blotting my nose about twice during an 8/9 hour day, which is about the same as when I wear colourstay. It seems to generally last well on the skin and doesn't transfer everywhere, which is one of my pet peeves about some foundations. Looking at ingredients list on the Boots website, it contains a fair amount of silicone, which probably helps the lasting power as it would help to stop oils breaking through.


One difference between this and the Revlon Colorstay is that it feels more lightweight on the skin. It does, however, have about the same level of coverage, in that it's medium when buffed in with a buffing brush but you can build it up to being more full by adding a bit more. It offers a very decent amount of coverage for a foundation that is more liquid than the Colorstay and feels lighter on the skin. For this reason, I can see me getting a lot of use out of this in the warmer weather, when my Colourstay feels too heavy. It is also, of course, far cheaper at £6.99 with Revlon Colourstay being £12.49.


Compared to the original Infallible foundation, which I also own, this is much more matte and oil controlling. I picked up the orginal Infallible foundation before this one was out and being honest, it doesn't really work very well for me oiliness wise. Since I paid for it, I want to use it up so I tend to use it when I'm just popping to the supermarket or something and it doesn't need to last a long time because I'm very quickly shiny with that one and it just disappears from my nose and chin as a result. You also get 30ml in the original instead of 35 and it comes in a glass bottle with a pump rather than a tube. I would definitely recommend that one more for drier skins.

Overall, I am really enjoying the L'oreal Infallible Matte foundation. It has good lasting power, pretty good oil control and easy to deal with packaging. It has a lightweight feel which is nice and offers decent coverage. If I was to suggest one improvement, it would be to expand the shade range. There are many more shades in my usual Revlon Colourstay and I can therefore get a closer match to my skin when it's at its palest.

Have you tried this foundation? What do you think?

Em x