top under header

Sunday, 1 March 2015

New in: Urban Decay Moondust eye shadow in ether


swatches in bottom right photo: left=on bare skin, right=over Maybelline eye tattoo in eternal purple

I fell in love with this eye shadow as soon as I clapped eyes on it. I love me a bit of glitter, particularly for evening wear. I'm like a magpie-anything shiny gets my attention lol.

I already own the shade 'moonspoon' from the Moon dust eye shadows, which is an amazing sparkly grey/ silver. You can see my post on that one here. Ether is a new shade from the Spring 2015 collection. It's dark purple that works amazingly for a smoky eye. I like to apply matte shades to the rest of the eye then use this on the lid. You probably wouldn't want to use anything else shimmery or glittery on your eyes because the moondust formula has a LOT of glitter/ sparkle in it. I think you get the best effect if you keep everything else matte, it just means that this glittery shade can be the the centre of attention. They are smooth and nicely pigmented but work even better over a slightly tacky base. I like to use a cream shadow like a MAC paint pot of a Maybelline eye tattoo. It means that all the glitter really sticks to the skin and gives more impact on the eye.

I have to say that it's difficult to capture just how beautiful the moondust shadows are on camera. The sparkle is best seen in real life, when, if you look closely, you can see pink and blue sparkles, so it's an interesting shade. I have photographed it swatched both on bare skin and over a base of Maybelline's eye tattoo in the shade Eternal purple. It is more of a subtle slightly grey purple on it's own but looks more of a vibrant shade over a purple base.

What do you think?

Em x