top under header

Monday, 30 March 2015

Drugstore Make Up Starter Kit


Make up can be confusing for beginners. Personally, I started out with a white/ silver Rimmel cream eyeshadow that I wore on its own all over my eyes (very 'space age') and a lip gloss. I thought I'd put together some product recommendations for anyone starting out, but they would be just as good for experienced makeup wearers who are looking for some bargainous, good quality products.

Base
Foundations are a difficult thing to recommend because it obviously depends on skin type and the level of coverage you're after. As an oily skinned girl, my main aim is to have something that lasts well on my skin and is more on the matte side. My favourite everyday foundation is Revlon's colorstay in the oily skin formula (they also do one for dry skin). I would say this one gives medium coverage that can be built up to full if you use a bit more. The L'oreal Infallible Matte foundation is a recent discovery of mine (see my review here) that has good coverage with a more lightweight feel. I think Bourjois as a brand is a good bet for lighter textured foundations and they have some lovely more dewy ones if your skin is more on the dry side. For a powder, I don't think you can go wrong with Rimmel Stay Matte. It's cheap and cheerful at £3.99 but does what it says on the tin and doesn't look cakey. If you want to venture into primers, which I find useful for helping to keep my makeup on for longer, I really like the Max Factor Facefinity All Day Primer. As far as concealer goes, I like the Rimmel Match Perfection concealer for its brightening qualities underneath my eyes and the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer for any redness or blemishes since it has more coverage and sets in place.

Cheeks
Beginners may not necessarily want to use a bronzer since it's something that is so easy to get wrong. If you do want one, however, Soap and Glory's Solar Powder is a great drugstore option that isn't too dark so it's a bit easier to use. The one you see above is a brand new one because I only have a tiny bit left around the edge of my other one. For blush, my drugstore favourites at the moment are the Max Factor Creme Puff Blushes (oddly named because they are in fact a powder). They have a bit of a glow to them without being overly shimmery so work well for both dry and oily skins. They are pigmented enough but not overly so and almost blend themselves so they're pretty much fool proof. You can also skip highlight on your cheekbones because of the pretty glow they have so it's almost like getting 2 products in one.


Eyes
Depending on the look you're going for, you may just want to use a mascara, in which case my favourite by far is Seventeen's Falsifeye HD (which beats a lot of more expensive mascaras hands down in my opinion). If you do want to try an eyeshadow then something neutral and simple to use is a good option. If you go for a cream shadow like Maybelline's Eye Tattoo in the shade on and on bronze or Max Factor's Excess Shimmer eye shadow in Copper, you can apply and blend it out with fingers. I also like the GOSH Forever Eye Shadow in the shade 'Light Copper', which you can literally draw onto your eyelid and smudge out with fingers. For powder eye shadows, the Collection Eyes Uncovered palette in the shade nude bronze is amazing quality for the price and you get 5 lovely shades to mix and match. If you want to add to the longevity of your eye makeup by using a primer, the MUA Pro Base Eye Primer is a bargain at £2.50 and keeps everything in place just as long as some much more expensive versions. I didn't really use eye liner when I first got into makeup and I think it's something you don't necessarily need, so I skipped it for this post.

Lips
The thing I tend to go for in lip products most is moisture. I don't often wear matte lip products because I prefer the feeling of something a bit more moisturising and that definitely shows in my top picks. My absolute favourite drugstore lip product is Soap and Glory's Sexy Mother Pucker Gloss Sticks. My favourite everyday shades are bashful, a sheer baby pink and nudist, a more peachy/ brownish nude. They are moisturising and give a hint of tint and some gloss without the gloop. The Revlon Lip Butters are a great moisturising lipstick formula if you're after something with a bit more colour. My favourite shade is Berry Smoothie. For more of a full, pigmented lipstick, the Rimmel Kate lipsticks are great quality for the price. You can see my full post about those here.  If you're more of a lip gloss girl, I like Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss , which has a nice amount of pigment and isn't too sticky, or the Bourjois Effet 3D glosses, which are more for the shine than the pigment but have 'Balm Action' and are pretty moistursing for a gloss.

So there are my recommendations for drugstore make up products to start out with. What do you think? Are there any others you would recommend?

Em x