top under header

Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Maybelline Colour Drama Lip Pencils


I picked up these Maybelline colour drama lip pencils on my latest trip to Boots (I refuse to write color, it just looks wrong haha). I've been meaning to try them for a little while but for some reason just hadn't got around to it. They were on a buy one get one half price offer so I thought it was the perfect opportunity!

If you are a makeup junkie like me, you will know that the makeup market has been flooded with chunky pencil style lip products over the last year or two. These, however, are quite different to most of the others I own in that they are more of a full on, pigmented lipstick rather than a sheer wash of colour. They have been compared to the NARS velvet matte lip pencils, which I can understand to a certain extent (I own NARS' deep red shade, cruella). However, I do think that the Maybelline ones are more creamy and therefore more of a satin-matte than a true matte. This does mean that they won't last quite as long on as the NARS version, but it also means that they aren't as drying. I was actually quite amazed at how creamy the 'Keep it Classy' shade is in particular. For something in pencil form, its texture is more like a traditional lipstick in a bullet. I do find with the NARS that I like to put a lip balm underneath but I don't feel the need to with these. There's also the fact that the Maybelline ones are £4.99 from Boots or Superdrug, but the NARS version will cost you a whopping £18.00.

I like the shade selection of the Maybelline version. I picked up the shades 'In with coral' (left of the swatches above) and 'keep it classy' (left swatch). Keep it classy is a lovely berry/ plum shade and is ideal for people like me who don't always find it very easy to wear a red. I feel like these sort of shades are easier to wear than a red on fair skin but have a similar, dramatic effect without being quite so harsh. In with coral is actually brighter on than I originally thought it was (those shop lights can be deceptive can't they?) and it looks a bit brighter in real life than it does in the photos too (damn you Winter light!). It's verging on neon really so is not for the faint hearted. I think this one will be a fun shade to wear in the Summer, though. I must admit that when I swatched the more nude shades, I wasn't so fussed on the texture of them. Some of them had chunks of shimmer in, which I also wasn't a fan of.

Overall, I think these are a really good buy and are very good value for what they offer. I'd definitely recommend them. The more bold shades definitely appealed to me more, firstly because I prefer my more nude shades to be more glossy and on the sheer side and also the texture was far preferable.

Have you tried the Maybelline colour drama lip pencils? What do you think of them?

Em x