top under header

Saturday, 31 January 2015

La Roche Posay Serozinc: worth the hype?


I'd read about this product on so many blogs (including the amazing skincare expert Caroline Hirons'), but until recently, it wasn't readily available in the UK. You can now pick it up from www.escentual.com here and as I was ordering some other bits a few weeks ago, I decided to give it a go.

The spray contains just 3 ingredients, which are thermal spring water, zinc sulphate and astringent sodium chloride. Zinc oxide is known for its skincare benefits on blemish prone skin, helping to keep it clear. La Roche Posay claim that the ingredients in serozinc 'target blemishes, marks and excess oiliness'. Sounds good to me.

I already use an exfoliating, acid toner. At the moment that is the Nip and Fab Glycolic Fix pads. Caroline recommends to use Serozinc as a secondary toner before any serums and/ or moisturisers, so that is what I've been doing for the last few weeks. I close my eyes and mist it over my face, leaving it to sink in for a couple of minutes then patting off the excess before continuing with my skincare routine. It might seem like a hassle to add in the extra step but as it's in spray form it literally takes 2 seconds to apply.

So what has it done for my skin? Well...my skin is generally clear-ish these days, except for during 'that time of the month', when my chin normally decides to erupt and I have some painful little 'friends' (thank you mother nature!). Although I did get a couple of little spots last time around, I must say that they were smaller than usual and disappeared more quickly, as if they didn't have the chance to develop into anything bigger. I hadn't used any spot treatments on them either, which is usually a necessity. So the zinc definitely seems to be helping my skin.

I have also read about people with drier skins using this because it is also good for soothing irritation (which fits with the clearing blemishes aspects of it) and for a little bit of hydration before moisurising. It definitely does inject some moisture because a few times I have left it to sink in then gone off to do something else and realised later that I actually forgot to put my moisturiser on. This probably wouldn't happen if you have dry skin as opposed to oily like me, but it just demonstrates that it does lightly moisturise. I imagine this is down to the thermal spring water.

Overall, I'm very happy with what it's doing for my skin and I will be continuing to use it. I can definitely see the benefits of it and why it is so popular in the blogging world. If the effects continue, I can see myself repurchasing it when this one starts to run low.
Have you tried serozinc? What do you think?

Em x