top under header

Thursday, 29 January 2015

Beauty Empties #5

I seem to have finished an awful lot of things lately. I have been making an effort to use some things up so it's no surprise really. I don't mean I've been using twice as much of everything, but just sticking with the things that are almost empty. There's one thing I'm throwing away half full because I wasn't impressed and the rest of it's stuff I go through and repurchase all the time.



Herbal Essesnces Fresh balance shampoo and conditioner. I like the shampoo from this range so thought I'd try the conditioner to, which turned out to be just ok. I should have known since the range is aimed at more oily hair. I prefer to use an oily hair or clarifying shampoo with a conditioner for dry hair so the lengths get plenty of moisture and I get rid of the oil from my roots. I 'll buy the shampoo again but not the conditioner.

Batiste tropical. An old favourite I buy time and time again, cheap and does the job, no much more to say!

Macadamia oil. This is one of my favourite hair oils. It's quite serum-like in texture and doesn't weigh my hair down even if I use a lot. It helps keep my hair healthy (my hairdresser always comments on what good condition it's in) and I've just opened a new bottle.

Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish. This is something I've used on and off for years. It's a great evening cleanser for me. It leaves my skin really clean without being dried out and it seems to help clear my skin whenever I'm having any spot issues. I've got a new one on the go.

Clearasil stayclear face wash. I bought this when I was in need of a face wash and couldn't get hold of my usual Neutrogena pink grapefruit one. I've used this before so know it's something I can go back to although it's not my preferred one. This has salicylic acid in it, which is something I go for in a morning time face wash. It is nice and creamy and doesn't dry out the skin, I WOULD NOT, I repeat WOULD NOT recommend the standard clearasil range, which strips your skin of all moisture, but the stayclear range is much more mild.

St Ives Apricot Scrub for blemish prone skin. I used to really like this and I still think it's ok, but only if you're going to be super careful with it. I like to use a physical scrub once a week but this one is a VERY scrubby scrub with very large particles that can do more harm than good if you're not careful. I already have the nip and fab glycolic scrub, which is much more fine and more gentle. I've decided that I much prefer that one so I'll stick with it for now.

Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit visibly clear wash. This is actually half full because it was just too drying and stripping on my skin. I really like the creamy version and picked this up when I couldn't find it, which was a mistake. I used it a couple of times then used it to clean some brushes to try to use it up but didn't even like it for that. Would I buy it again? Definitely not.

Garnier Micellar water. This is something I use and repurchase all the time, it's great for removing the bulk of your makeup before cleansing and it's cheap too.

Nip and Fab Glycolic Fix serum. This was featured in a review post here. Its exfoliating properties help to keep my skin clear and smooth and I've already started on another.

La Roche Posay Mat moisturiser. This is a gel-cream moisturiser that is ideal for under makeup on my oily/ combination skin. This is something I've repurchased many times and will continue to do so.

Nip and Fab Glycolic Fix exfoliating pads. I use these as a toner and again, they help to chemically exfoliate to keep my skin clear and smooth. Great product that I've bought a few times now and will continue to do so.

The Body Shop Coconut shower gel. I love the smell of the coconut range from the Body Shop, it's one of my favourites. I do wish that this would foam up a bit more-I felt like I had to use a lot. Despite that, I will probably buy it again at some point since it matches the scrub and body butter, both of which I love. Not just yet, however, because I'm trying to work my way through a mountain of bath and body products.

Sanctuary Relax foaming bath soak. This smells gorgeous and nourishes my skin. I have a couple of back ups after finding it cheap in B and M. It's been discontinued in Boots but is still currently available on the Debenhams site for now, so I'm not sure whether I will be able to repurchase it when I do run out. I will if I can, though.

ASDA shave gel-did the job and smells quite nice but there's not a lot to say about it really!

Garnier Mineral deodorant-again did the job! I'm not that fussy with deodorants although I prefer the ones designed to not leave marks on clothes. I normally just pick up one from Garnier, Nivea, Dove or Sure, whichever's on offer at the time.


Sleek brow stylist in light. This is my favourite brow product and I'm already well into another one. You can see my review of it here.

Seventeen Falsifeye HD mascara. I love this mascara and already have another ready to open when I've finished the tube of Benefit They're Real I am trying to finish. Those 2 mascaras give a very similar effect but are very different prices! You can see my review and comparison here.

Revlon Colorstay foundation. This is my day to day foundation that I've worn on and off for years,. It lasts really well on oily skin and is a good colour match. Its something I've repurchased over and over.

Bourjois java rice powder. This lasted me absolutely forever because I only use it to set my under eye concealer. It' pink toned and has a subtle shimmer to it to keep my under eye concealer glowy while setting it. Personally I wouldn't use it all over with my combo/ oily skin but it might be good to give dry skins a glow if you still want to use a powder to set your makeup. I have repurchased.

Urban Decay primer potion. This is still my 'holy grail' eye primer. It makes my eye shadows last all day without fail.

Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm. This is my absolute favourite lip balm. I use it morning and night and my lips never get chapped as a result, even in this appalling weather we're having in the UK at the moment! (honestly, my little car nearly got blown off the motorway yesterday, slightly scary!). Anyway, it's amazing stuff and I'm now on my 3rd tub.

Which beauty products have you used up lately? What would you recommend I try or avoid?

Em x