top under header

Tuesday, 30 December 2014

New Year's resolutions, the right way


We've all been there...you're going to loose 2 stone as quickly as possible...get a new job inside 3 months...etc etc. The thing I really dislike about the usual New Year's resolutions is that people often set themselves massive, un-achievable tasks to complete in a short space of time.

Personally, I believe more in having long term goals that aren't so pressurizing and can be broken down into baby steps. I know that if I tell myself I've got a very limited length of time to do something huge, it won't happen. Therefore, instead of losing a massive amount of weight, I'm going to say that I'm going to try to eat a bit healthier after all the Christmas treats. To be fair, I eat reasonably healthy meals most of the time but probably succumb to the biscuits and chocolate more often than I should...I'm human. I'm also looking forward to returning the zumba class I go to after a few weeks off over Christmas. Weight loss might come with these but January crash diets DO NOT work, everyone knows that, it needs to be more of a GRADUAL lifestyle change.

I might have mentioned before but my work situation has been far from ideal for the last 3 years as I have had difficulty securing a permanent contract in my chosen career. This is not my fault, however, it is simply due to the lack of jobs being available with the current economic state of the country. I'm therefore going to say that in 2015 I'm going to continue doing my best work wise and consider other career possibilities that might open up new opportunities, rather than telling myself that I MUST have a new job by a specific date.

My final long term target is to continue saving to for a deposit to get on the property ladder with my husband. We will continue to have a 'round about' target of how much we want to save each month but I'm not going to beat myself up if some months we don't reach the target due to higher than usual bills, seasonal things like buying Christmas presents or my income being up and down, which it is at times.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good to have goals and to try to stick to something in order to be the best version of you or improve your life, but the worst thing you can do is pressurize yourself to reach a large goal in a short length of time. The more you put yourself under pressure, the less likely it is to happen. You need to give yourself enough time to do something properly rather than looking for instant success. Remember that there's nothing wrong with baby steps rather than giant leaps...it's all progress.

What do you think about New Year's resolutions? Do you think they work for you?

Em x