top under header

Saturday, 27 December 2014

My top 10 beauty discoveries of 2014

I thought I'd write a post on my favourite beauty discoveries on 2014 this month in place of a monthly favourites post considering it's the end of the year. These aren't the products I have used for years and are not necessarily things that were new out in 2014 either, but things that were new to me and some of them are actually brands rather than specific products.


1. Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm
This is the BEST lip balm I've ever used. I use it morning and night and now I never have chapped lips, even in the Winter weather. It has a more matte finish than most lip balms which means it's also great if you want to wear it under a lipstick. I've been through one of these and am almost finished a second. I wouldn't be without it now.



2. L'oreal L'ombre Pure eye shadows
These are soft and sort of more like pressed pigments than eye shadows. My favourite is shade 204, which is a gorgeous sparkly neutral that looks great on the lid with a matte brown in the crease.



3. Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker gloss sticks
I have several shades of these and haven't stopped wearing them all year-they've been mentioned on this blog few times! My favourites have been raplumzel, nudist and bashful.



4. Sleek brow stylist
I love the slanted tip on this pencil and spoolie on the other end. It makes filling in my brows a doddle and the texture seems to be just right. You can see my review on it in this post.


5. Too Faced eye shadows
I had used Too Faced before this year, but I bought a few palettes from them this year, my favourites being the Natural Eyes palette and Too Faced chocolate palette. The shadows are great quality, pigmented and blendable and I enjoy having palettes with a mix of mattes and shimmers so I can get a complete eye look from it-I personally like to keep shimmers mostly on my eyelid and inner corner and use more matte shades on my crease and brow bone. The chocolate bar palette also smells of chocolate-need I say more?!


6.Soap and Glory solar powder bronzer
This is great for fair skin as it's not orangey, is quite matte and is a lighter shade. It looks quite natural on my skin tone and I don't have to be too careful about over doing it, which is what I look for in a bronzer. It has become my everyday bronzer, except when I'm using the one from the Tarte palette mentioned below, and as you can see I am running really low on it now. I have already bought a new one for when I run out because it's that good. You can see my review of it here.


7. Seventeen Falisifeye HD mascara
I spoke about this being a pretty good dupe for Benefit's They're Real and I've used it everyday since I bought it. It gives my lashes very good volume AND length and is only £6.99 at Boots. It's now pretty much dried up but I have already bought a new one, I'm just finishing off a couple of other mascaras before I open it.


8. Kiko
In August, I went on a little trip to London with my husband to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary, since we got engaged there. It was during this trip that I 1st ventured into Kiko and it was love. I love how it's set up sort of like a MAC store with so many shades of everything but a lot of the products are much more budget friendly. I have a couple of their 'smart' lipsticks, which for £3.90 are great and I really enjoy them. I also picked up a couple of limited edition products (which I won't go into since you can no longer buy them) and my beloved water eye shadow in shade 200 champagne, which is just beautiful and super sparkly. It's looking a little messy now since I've used it so much, so I decided to use a picture I took for the blog when I first bought it so you could see the lovely moulded shape of the surface. I was impressed with the quality of the things I've tried for the price and I'm hoping to try a few more during 2015. You can read my post about the products I bought here.



9. Tarte
I placed my 1st Sephora US order this year and it was mainly to try some Tarte products. I chose the Amazonian clay pinup blush palette and the Amazonian clay rainforest after dark palette. The quality is great and they work out much better value than buying individual products. The blushes really last well and blend nicely. The rainforest after dark palette is a great all round palette that is brilliant for travelling since it contains everything you need for a full face of makeup except foundation, mascara and a lip product. You can read my reviews of both palettes here and here  and see a make up look I did with the rainforest palette here.


10. Clinique cheek pop blushes were my favourite throughout the Summer, to the point were I literally did not use anything else for months, and I have quite a few different blushes. I have peach pop and plum pop. I mentioned them back in this favourites post in July.

What were your top beauty discoveries of 2014?

Em x