top under header

Sunday, 2 November 2014

Skincare Routine: AM

Today I thought I would share with you my morning skincare routine in the hopes that it might help someone out there. Obviously skincare products for very individual because everyone's skin is different but this is what works my my skin.

 As a teenager, I had very oily skin and quite a few spots, which I used to try to attack with as many spot fighting treatments as I could find....bad move. If you have oilier, acne-prone skin, the worse thing you can do is strip it of all it's natural oils because your skin will work even harder to replace all the oil that you've removed, therefore making your skin more and more oily. A few years on and it's still oily in the t-zone with more normal cheeks and I still get occasional breakouts but generally nothing major as I've learned how to keep my skin under control.


I wash my face with Neutrogena Visibly Clear Grapefruit creamy face wash. What I look for in a face wash is that it contains some salicylic acid, which is a good spot fighting ingredient and is on the creamier side so it's not stripping but without being too heavy.

About once or twice a week, I use a scrub. I currently have the nip and fab glycolic scrub which I really like because it gives a good exfoliation without being too harsh. I wouldn't use a manual exfoliator more than once or twice a week because it can actually damage your skin if you do it too much. This one is also a chemical exfoliant since it contains glycolic acid-an ingredient that my skin seems to love and that I use in other products in my evening routine.



After cleansing, I moisturise with the La Roche Posay Effeclar Mat moisturiser. This stuff is great for those who find themselves getting shiny throughout the day as it isn't too heavy and is great under makeup.

Next I use Simple Kind to Eyes Soothing Eye Balm. I like to use an eye cream so that my under eye concealer blends in nicely and the delicate skin stays nice and hydrated. This one is light weight enough that it sinks in pretty quickly-again great for under makeup.

The final step in my morning skincare routine is the Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm. This stuff is AMAZING. I didn't believe the hype until I tried it but it really is as good as people say. I like to put a lip balm on before I do my makeup so my lips are well conditioned by the time I put any lip products on.


If I'm just going to work etc and spending most of the day indoors, I rely on the SPF in my primer/ make up. However, If I'm going to be spending a lot of time outside/ in the sun, I swap my usual moisturiser for the Soap and Glory Make Yourself Youthful Sinshield Superfluid SPF50 . This is non greasy and very runny so it sinks in quickly but gives enough moisture for oilier skins to not need the extra step of moisturiser. I like the Vichy and La Roche Posay sun screens for oily skin too, but this happens to be the one I have at the moment. 

Do you know of any amazing products for combination-oily skin that you would recommend? 

Look out for a post on my evening skincare routine coming up!

Em x