top under header

Friday, 28 November 2014

Festive Fingernails


I painted my nails using this combination last night, after I recently picked up Essie's 'Summit of Style' from Boots (on 3 for 2 as well-bonus!). I used it to paint myself some glittery tips on top of Nail's Inc.'s 'Hampstead Heath'. Such a festive combination of colours got me thinking about my favourite festive nail polishes and here is what I came up with...

Left to Right: Essie: Summit of Style/ Nicole by OPI: Rainbow in the S-kylie/  Nails inc: Hampstead Heath/ Deborah Lippmann: Nefertiti/ Essie: Leading Lady/ Orly: Rage/  Deborah Lippmann: Cleopatra in New York/ Rimmel: Celebrity Bash/ Essie: Beyond Cozy




Essie's 'Summit of style' is a chunky bronze-gold (or you could call it rose gold) glitter. As you can see in the top picture where I'm wearing it over Nails Inc.'s 'Hampstead Heath', it has larger and smaller pieces. It's best over another shade, unless you want to have to build it up using a few layers.

Nicole by OPI Rainbow in the S-kylie is from the Nicole by OPI Kardashian collection (hence the name!). It's an exact dupe of OPI's Rainbow Connection, which was a very popular nail polish from their Muppet's collection. I really wanted that one at the time but couldn't get hold of it and from swatches online, this is exactly the same. It contains a range of different sizes, shapes and colours of glitters and is so fun. You can build this one up with 2 or 3 coats but I prefer to use 1 coat over a base colour. It looks especially amazing over a dark shade so the glitter really stands out.

Nails Inc. Hampstead Heath is a gorgeous red that almost has a hint of pink to it. It's not too bright or deep but sits nicely in the middle. I used 2 coats of this on my nails in the top photo.

Deborah Lippmann's Nefertiti is a bright, metallic gold that I like to use for an accent nail, usually on my ring finger.



Essie's Leading Lady is such a glamorous shade and to me, the most festive of the lot. It's a nice deep red packed with small glitters. Christmas in a bottle!

Orly's Rage is a gorgeous rose gold metallic shade that I actually get a lot of use out of all year round. You can't tell from this picture but I'm around half way down the bottle.

Deborah Lippmann's 'Cleopatra in New York' is a black laced with gold glitter. I enjoy wearing this for nights out. The glitter is quite chunky so really stands out against the black base.

Rimmel 'Celebrity Bash' is a deep red cream shade. I don't believe that the 'Wear Maxx' line exists any more, having been discontinued, however the same shade is available in the 'Salon Pro' range of polishes that Rimmel do. I feel like this is a very sophisticated shade that would be great for day or night.

Essie's 'Beyond Cozy' is a metallic shade that sits somewhere between silver and gold in my opinion. It's almost like a warm silver shade, the way I see it. It has a lot of little shimmer particles in it so once on, it almost looks like a glitter but it has the advantage of being far easier to remove.

What do you think of my picks? Are there any nail polishes you would recommend for the festive season?

Em x