top under header

Thursday, 30 October 2014

Halloween Cupcake Decoration


These ghost and eyeball cupcakes are quite simple to make but so effective for Halloween! I made them today after researching ideas on google images and they will be going on sale at a charity Halloween event tomorrow. I used a basic vanilla sponge recipe for the cake itself (8oz each of sugar, self-raising flour and butter, 4 eggs, a 'sploosh' of milk and a 'sploosh' of vanilla extract). I spooned the mixture into the cases and baked at gas mark 5 for around 20-30 minutes or until a skewer put into the cakes came out clean.

I covered all the cakes I made in vanilla flavour frosting using the quantities of 150g butter to 190g icing sugar, plus a splash of milk and some vanilla extract. I simply spread the frosting onto the cupcakes with a knife-it doesn't require piping because it will be mostly covered up anyway.

Now for the exciting part!

For the eyeball design, I rolled out some fondant icing and used a cutter the size of the top of the cupcakes to cut out circles. I popped these on top of the frosting, which is there to make it stick, and created the eyeball design with some little tubes of writing icing-easy peasy!

For the ghost design, I stuck a large marshmallow onto the top of each cake then added another bit of frosting on top, to help the icing in the next step stick. I cut out some circles of the same white fondant I used before, but using a larger cutter-only you can judge how bog you want this to be from the size of your cupcake/ marshmallows. You could use a cutter, a large cup, a saucer, or whatever else you have lying around that you think is the sort of size you want. I then placed a fondant circle over each marshmallow so that it draped. I shaped it with my fingers to make it look more like a ghost. Finally, I used some chocolate chips for eyes and mouths, simply pushing them into the icing.

What do you think? Em x