top under header

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Things I'd tell my teenage self


I saw this great post on Sneha's blog about things she'd tell her younger self (go and have a look at her blog if you haven't already-I really enjoy it).It got me thinking about what I'd tell myself so I thought I would share!


1)You will have a boyfriend one day.
The chances are that all those girls who have boyfriends now will not be with the same boys in a few years time anyway, but for now it's perfectly OK to concentrate on your studies. The right man will come along at the right time, so don't worry about not being one of those 'cool girls' who all the boys like. (I was a late starter,not having a boyfriend until I was 20. If you're one of those people, you're not weird and ironically, I am actually one of the first to be married.)

2) One day, those 'cool kids' who pick on you will go away.
In the future, they won't matter any more and you'll look back and think how stupid their comments were....I mean for starters, who picks on someone because they have a pink coat?! (yes, this really happened). They were probably only picking on you to cover up their own insecurities, anyway.

3)Stop attacking your teenage, spotty skin with so many stripping products!
My mum told me this over and over but thinking I knew best, I went ahead and used everything I could find to try to get rid of those zits. My mum was right. When I did finally listen and stripped back my skincare routine rather than my face, my skin improved. A lot.

4) Your parents are not over-protective, they just love you and want you to be safe.
I used to hate the fact that my parents wanted to know where I was when I wasn't with them, but now I know why-there are a lot of weirdos in the world and you need to be careful.

5)Speaking of parents, be kind to them.
One day you will look back and realise that most of those mean things you said to them were uncalled for. You'll get on so much better with them once your hormones have stabilised and you have a place of your own.

6)Try not to compare yourself to others.
Generally, nothing good comes of it. You're a bit shorter and larger than the other girls? So what? That girl's cleverer than you? So what? It doesn't stop you being happy. As you get older, you will learn to be a little more comfortable in your own skin and stop worrying so much about what others think of you or how you look in comparison to them.

7)You will still not have all of the answers or have your life completely planned out at the age of 27...
 ...so don't worry that you don't have all of the answers now. It's ok that you don't and probably never will-I've heard pensioners say they never got around to having a plan and no-one knows everything.

8)People will come into and leave your life for different reasons.
As you get older, you will gain the confidence to decide who you want to hang out with. It's sad, but friendships will break up, it happens.  You will make new friends and will learn that you don't have to be friends with certain people just to fit in. Sometimes people come into your life just to teach you something, other times it's to be a lifelong friend. If someone is supposed to be a part of your life in the long term, it will happen.

9) Enjoy the small things in life...
...one day you'll realise they add up to being big, important things. The small things that made you smile are the things you will still remember in a few years' time.

10) Sometimes, being silly is OK.
You might want to be all serious and grown up now, but when you are a real grown up,  you will enjoy those childish moments when you laugh about silly things. Those moments are important.

What advice would you give your teenage self? 

Em x