top under header

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Apple and raspberry pancake pudding


At the weekend, I had a go at making this dessert-it turned out sooooo yummy even if I do say so myself, and it's not too bad for you because it's mostly fruit really...that's my excuse! I took the basics of the recipe from Sorted Food's blog and made a few small alterations. You can see their version here- you really should be reading they're blog and watching their youtube video if you like if you like cooking, by the way.

The boys on sorted food called it a fruit toad in the hole which it sort of is, except that the batter is sweet and bakes to a pancake texture rather than yorkshire pudding texture if that makes any sense. They used pears and raspberries in their recipe. I chose to use apples rather than pears and I really like the combination of them with raspberries.

 I peeled and chopped up 2 apples and washed a packet of raspberries, then spread them over the base of a greased oven dish. I then made a batter using 2 eggs, 80g butter (melted) 80g flour, 80g caster sugar and 150ml milk (I used semi-skimmed). The sorted food recipe called for vanilla essence but I only had vanilla flavouring so I added a bit of that. It also called for raspberry liqueur, which I skipped. 

I poured the batter over the fruit and baked for 10 mins at 200°C/ gas 6 before taking it out and putting just a little butter over the top (sorted food said 50g but I didn't use that much as it didn't want to make it too unhealthy!). I then turned the oven down to 180°C/ gas mark 4 and continued to bake. Sorted food said around 20 minutes but mine took around 30 to be done. I took it out, dusted it with a small amount of brown sugar and served it with ice cream. I'm sure it would go just as well with custard or cream, too!

I will definitely be baking this again and may even try it with different types of fruit,

Em x