top under header

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Hand creams-reviews and comparisons


It occured to me when purchasing another hand cream that I have a bit of a collection going on, although 1 is almost gone. I thought I would write down a quick run down of them, why I like each one and what each is best for.

Nivea Expression Hydration is just what it says-it sinks in very quickly but as a result is not by any means the most moisturising. This one is great for on the go though, if you want a quick bit of moisture but be able to use your hands without them being all slippery!

Vaseline Healthy Hands and Stronger Nails sits somewhere between this and a heavier hand cream in my opinion. It still sinks in quite quickly, just not quite as quickly as the Nivea, but gives a bit more moisture. I'm not too sure about the stronger nails part but it can't do any harm, right?

Carex hydrate and protect has antibacterial action combined with a lighter weight hand cream so I figured this would be good for my handbag, especially because I found it reduced down to 67p in Asda. I'm not so bothered about throwing it in a bag because if it goes missing, it's not the end of the world.

L'occitaine 20% shea butter hand cream is a little heavier and more moisturising than the 3 above and I feel like it takes slightly longer to sink in but I wouldn't describe it as greasy-a medium level of heaviness if that makes any sense. This is a bit of a cult product and is more on the expensive side but you can regularly get the travel sizes that are regularly £8 free with magazines (I'm pretty sure I got this one with Glamour, which costs £2). Bargain! The thing I love most about L'occitaine hand creams are the smells. This one is jasmine which I love, but I've tried loads of other scents in the past and liked them just as much.

Lanolips Rose-Balm Everyday is the one that's almost empty due to it living on my bedside table since I bought it. I tend to use a heavier hand cream most nights before bed. This one is definitely on the heavier side and leaves residue that's almost sticky, so it's not one I'd recommend for daytime use. Would I buy it again? If I found it on offer, yes (which I did when I bought it). It's a good hand cream and has lasted a long time as a little goes a long way, but I don't love the powdery rose smell.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Cream unscented is also a great bedtime option. I like that there is the option to buy unscented-I do like nice smelling hand creams but I would rather unscented than a smell I don't like, After all, 1 smell isn't going to please anyone's nose! A little goes a LONG way with this one so don't be tempted to overdo it. It's very moisturising and particularly good or the Winter months I find.

Crabtree and Evelyn English Honey and Peach Blossom ultra moistursing hand therapy is the newest to me and is a pricey one, but I found it for £4.99 instead of £15 in TK Maxx. My local branch had quite a lot of C&E products so it may be worth a look! I would say the texture of this is quite similar to the L'occitaine, and also like L'occitaine they do different scents. I'd say it's a medium level of moisturisation so useable in the daytime if you don't mind waiting just a couple of minutes for it to sink in.

Have you tried any of these? Are there any other hand creams you would recommend?

Em x