top under header

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Ice cream cone cupcakes


This weekend has been taken up mostly by preparing for and volunteering at the Summer open day at our local Dog's Trust branch. The dogs trust are a charity my family have been involved with for a few years now and me and my husband regularly go along to help out. My mum was in charge of the cake stall and I baked around 100 individual cakes in total as a donation, as well as donating our time to be behind the stall of course. These are one type of cake I made after seeing various cakes baked in ice-cream cones online-I thought them very fitting for a Summer fayre sort of event.

I mixed up a basic sponge cake recipe (8oz flour, 8oz sugar, 8oz butter, 4 eggs). I used a cupcake tray and put foil across it then poked wholes for the cones to sit in (makes sure you are using the cones with the flat bottoms for this to  work). This way the foil supports them so they don't fall over when you put them into the oven. I then put the mix into the cones. Make sure you only fill the cones up about 3/4 of the way to allow for the cakes rising-you want them to be roughly level with the top of the cone when they are baked. Something I found useful was to put a little in each then gently tap the tray on top of the counter to make it sink down to the bottom of the cone, then add a little more mixture.The cake mix I made was enough for 24 cones as I was baking in bulk, but you could of course half the amount and do a '4,4,4,2' sponge mix. I baked them in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 5 and they took around 20-25 mins.

Then comes the fun part-I mixed up some frosting-I always used 150g of butter to 190g icing sugar and a splash of milk. I actually did double this amount so I would have plenty for the 24 cakes and added some vanilla flavouring to make them even more like an ice cream! I piped the frosting on using a large star shaped nozzle then added sprinkles and a glace cherry. You could add flakes if you wanted to or anything else you like.

They were definitely a success and all sold quite quickly. I think these would be amazing for a Summer kids birthday party/ BBQ etc and I will definitely be making them again!

Em x