top under header

Sunday, 20 July 2014

10 'Holy Grail' Products

I thought I'd write a post about the products that I always use without fail, or at least I always have them around and wouldn't be without them-otherwise known in the blogging world as 'holy grail' products I believe. As I was getting ready this morning, I had a think about products I use all the time and I came up with 10 items.


1.Rimmel Stay Matte Powder: This is my everyday face powder. I always set my foundation as I have combination/ oily skin that gets particularly oily during the Summer. This one is cheap and cheerful (£3.99 in Boots or Superdrug) and keeps me really quite matte through the day-I only normally touch up once during a work day.

2.Benefit They're Real Mascara: Put simply, this just makes my eyelashes look the best compared to all the other mascaras I've tried. It also stays put and doesn't flake or smudge. This means I need to use a bi-phase eye makeup remover to remove it, but it's worth it and it's still not as difficult as waterproof to get off.

3. Revlon Colorstay Foundation: This stays put on long work days and gives a nice coverage. I think a lot of people think this one is super heavy but used with a buffing brush or make up sponge I'd say it gives medium coverage that can be built up to full if you want to. I use the oily skin version and it stays put the best-there's nothing else quite like it for lasting power. I wouldn't wear it on a super hot day when I'm going to be outside, when I would pick something lighter feeling, but for work and long days it's perfect.

4. Max Factor Facefinity All Day Primer: This really does help with the lasting power of your foundation on oilier skins and is also a non-greasy way of getting a decent level of SPF on your face. If I was spending a lot of time in the sun I'd use an actual SPF product but for day to day going to work and running errands etc I feel like SPF20 in a primer is sufficient.

5. Urban Decay All Nighter Spray: Can you tell I like longlasting face products yet?! I spray this a few times over my completed makeup and it takes away any sort of powdery look, making the finish of powder look a bit more natural and really does work with helping your makeup to last too, does what it says on the tin.

6. Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion: If you have oily skin and wear eye shadow, you need this. It makes all eyeshadows really last without creasing up. If I'm wearing eye shadow, you know I'm wearing this. There are some similar products around now but I don't think they're as good as the original personally.

7. La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat: This is a gel-cream moisturiser for oilier skins. It's perfect for underneath makeup as it is designed to keep you matte. It sinks in quickly but still gives me enough moisture-I find that some mattifying moisturisers leave me feeling a bit dry but not this one.

8. Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm: This really hangs around on your lips-put it on before bed and you can still feel it in the morning. It's also great for under more matte lippies because it has a non-shiny finish.

9. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water: I've never tried the much raved about Bioderma cleansing water, but I imagine this is the same thing. It does a great job of quickly wiping away make up and is gentle on the skin. It's also super cheap at around £4-5 for a huge 400ml bottle but I normally pick it up on offer for a little bit cheaper.

10.Batiste Tropical Dry Shampoo: This saves my hair from looking a greasy mess on days in between washing. As well as having oilier skin, I also have oily hair that would need washing more or less every day if it wasn't for this stuff. The tropical scent is my favourite-makes my hair look clean and smell like a coconut what more could a girl want?!

Have you tried any of my 'holy grail' products? What are yours?

Em x